Friday, March 23, 2012

How Can I Get Motivated and Reach My Goals?

Did this ever happen to you? You set a goal and start to work like mad on it. A diet, a training program, to learn something new, you name it. But on your way you encounter obstacles that seem to be too big. Or you forget about the advantages you'd get from reaching your goal. Anyway, you drop your goal and rush for another one. In the end you have a long series of goals never reached. This happens to many people. Many people create goals and never reach them.

Why is this so? Paralysis, being overwhelmed? Doing lots of busy work but not approaching what you aiming at? Lack of dedication?

Most of the time when you drop your goal the reasons for this are not to be sought for externally. Most of the time the reasons are of psychological nature. For example fears. Fear of failure, fear of what others might say and think or even fear of success. You don't believe this? It happens more often than you would think. Unconsciously you don't think you are worth arriving at what you want.

Another reason might be that your goals are not specific enough and you wouldn't even know when you have reached the goal. "I want to lose weight" is such an example. When the scale shows a smaller figure than the day before you have reached the goal. You should rather formulate it like: "After such and such time I want to weigh between such and such."

Then there is poor time management and planning. You don't do what brings you closer to success. You read unimportant e-mails, have unimportant phone calls, do paperwork that has nothing to do with your goal. You should sort out what needs to be done for your normal living like going to work, shopping, doing the housework and so on. That stuff has to be done of course, but maybe you can outsource part of it. The rest of the time you can spend to work on your goals.

So what could be a remedy to all of this?

I recommend that before you set a goal you ask yourself a couple of questions:

Can I formulate my goal in a positive manner? This is sometimes very easy, for example to be able to run that distance in that time at that date. Or it can be very difficult, for example: "I want to give up smoking" or "I want to stop smoking in such time." Both are negative formulations and I can't think of a positive one.

Is this goal realistic? Loosing 20 kg within one week is certainly not a realistic goal neither is "I want to be able to run a marathon without any training." So please keep your goals realistic.

Set a timescale. You want to have reached the goal at that specific date or after that specific time interval. Be realistic here as well.

How does it feel to have reached my goal. Dream yourself in holding your diploma in your hands. Or just having finished your first marathon or achieving your dream weight or whatever. How does that feel, what would you see, hear, smell, taste. Be as realistic at this as you can.

How do I know when I have reached my goal. What do I see, hear, feel, smell, taste.

What do I have to give up by achieving my goal?
The above is a good starting point for reaching your goals. Than stick to it until you reach it.

If you want to learn more about "how can I get motivated" look here.

If you want to overcome the obstacles on the way and boost your goal reaching power try this for free.

Article Source

No comments:

Post a Comment